GET READY TO SHAKE OUT!!
CHOA residents can win an array of emergency preparedness gear by taking part in CCC’s “Oregon ShakeOut Drill” at 10:18 a.m. on 10/18/18 during Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills! If you participate, you will receive a raffle ticket when you place your HELP/OK sign and report in to your Neighborhood Captain that, “I participated.”
How do YOU participate? On Thurs., Oct. 18, set your alarm for 10:18 a.m. When it goes off:
DROP – TO YOUR HANDS AND KNEES, PREFERABLY UNDER SOMETHING STURDY
COVER – THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD & NECK WITH ONE ARM
HOLD ON – IN CASE THE THING YOU ARE UNDER MOVES
WHAT TO DO NEXT?
- Check on everyone in your home, are they OK?
- Protect your head, feet & hands from broken glass & fallen debris. Time to get on your hard hat, work gloves and sturdy shoes!
- Check on your gas meter; make sure you know where it is and how to turn it off if necessary.
- Make sure you know where the main water shut off to your home is located and how to turn it off.
- Place your HELP/OK sign on your garage door
- Put you fire extinguisher at the end of your driveway.
- The CHOA approach is “Shelter in Place,” which means that you secure your home and make sure you family is safe. Place a “HELP” sign if you need assistance.
- In a real emergency, your Neighborhood Captain would come by later to check with you personally.
- Raffle: you can go to CCC and say that you participated or you can call/email/text your Neighborhood Captain that you participated and he/she will be sure that you get a ticket in the raffle.
CHOA Disaster Plan
“Shelter in Place”
|1||Stay in your home and take care of your family and household safety.|
|2||Follow the guidelines in the CCC Emergency Preparedness Plan, starting with “What to Do NOW!”|
|3||The CHOA Emergency Preparedness Team will gather at Rec Hall C, adjacent to the pool on Lafayette Way.|
|4||Emergency Preparedness Team members will begin checking all CHOA neighborhoods.|
|5||Households with the “HELP” sign displayed will be assisted first.|
|6||After assessing the impact of the disaster, the Emergency Preparedness Team members will develop a Disaster Response Plan.|
|7||The CHOA Disaster Response Plan details will be communicated either door-to-door or via available communication technology.|