Alarm system Open Letter – Please respond with a short Yes or No

You Received an Open Letter on the Alarm System

If you have already responded by email that’s great.  If you would rather just respond as a comment online, this is just another way to respond.

The purpose of this post and the letter is to hear from our 228 residents about their desire to investigate changing or maintaining the current CC&Rs related to the Alarm System monitoring.

The current step is to gather a tally Yay/Nay responses

Questions or Next steps should be addressed in an email to Jan Landis, not on the website.

We will give a report after two weeks of Yay/Nay responses received.

Information:  If you have a landline, you may be connected to the Alarm monitoring system that is managed by Wilsonville Lock and Security, they could not tell me who was or was not.

You may want to call Wilsonville Lock and Security to see if you are truly connected

20 replies
  1. Dennis Mefford says:

I am interested in seeing our CC&Rs changed to relieve the responsibility of a centrized monitoring system.

2. Eric Hoem says:

We live in a townhouse with shared walls. I like the extra security of knowing that we all have a working alarm system. If I lived in a stand -lone home, I would want my own system, but sharing walls means sharing responsibility to me. I favor keeping the HOA system and finding ways to improve it. In addition, I want to know what will happen to insurance rates for the various scenarios.

3. Dale & Sharon Kadell says:

We would like to change our CC&R’s to relieve our HOA of this responsibility.

4. Cathie Czar says:

I’m not terribly invested either way, but am leaning away from a centrally monitored system.

5. Cindy Medema-Hook says:

I would vote for changing the CC&R’s to allow each resident to acquire there own monitoring system.

6. Harry & Linda Backeberg says:

We have a separate alarm system and was unaware that there was even a central system. We would vote for changing the CC&R’S and putting that money to a better use.

7. Janet Moore says:

I agree with Eric Holm.
    I have a substantial discount on my insurance because of the monitored system. What is the status on the blanket policy for our buildings? Will that premium increase?
    If the monitoring thru CHOA is discontinued, will our dues be reduced accordingly?

8. Jan Crawford says:

Jan Crawford, Jessie Taft, Flossie Sexton and Jackie Peters all want to stay with the way it is set up now. I don’t know how this is going to work with so many home owners with different opinions. Jan C.

9. Sandra Wenke says:

My husband and I strongly feel the CC&Rs should not be changed for several reasons. First, the cost of alarm monitoring presently paid is far less than most systems. Second, by having an alarm system, our insurance rate is lower. Third, having an alarm system provides us with a small discount on our home insurance. But most important, mandating an alarm system for all of us is critical as we have shared walls. If a fire starts in an unoccupied townhouse, unless reported it could spread to all the connected units and puts all of us at risk.

10. Wes & Kaye Waldron says:

We would vote also for changing the CC & R’s to allow each resident to acquire and be financially responsible for
    their own security monitoring.

11. Larry Kent says:

We are using Wilsonville security and are pleased with them.
    Let the homeowners take care of their own security.

12. Ken Gregson says:

We love the current system-It works very well and is inexpensive. When we bought our townhouse over two years ago, our system was inactive and in need of repair. We were encouraged to activate the CHOA system by Steve Chin. Wilsonville Security was very helpful in making all the necessary maintenance to activate at a reasonable cost. The monthly cost per CHOA town home is very inexpensive. We will vote to keep the current system for both of our CHOA town homes! Ken & Camille Gregson

13. Schuyler Wallace says:

This is a difficult issue for the BOD. As a retired fire chief, I know that this community of common walls and roofs must have a fire alarm alerting system that protects everyone. The provision must be retained in the CC&Rs and updated to ensure that all residents comply.

14. Pat and Eva Parisi says:

Do not change the CC&Rs. Centralized monitoring is an essential risk management tool for common wall homes … especially when residents are often away for months. Wilsonville Lock provides good service, is priced right, and wants our business. Insurance rates are presently discounted and would rise if the centralized arrangement is cancelled. Develop controls to ensure every CHOA residence is hooked up to the existing system.

Eva and Pat Parisi

15. Jay Anderson says:

If we can continue to get a reduction in insurance premiums without the CC&R then we are for each homeowner supplying their own alarm system.

16. Karen Siegel says:

I wish to stay with the centralized system that we have. I like the fact that it provides emergency activation keys for fire, police and emt. I didn’t receive your letter and I wonder if others didn’t as well. Before you move forward to change the CCRs I think you need to have an informational meeting with CHOA members so that we have are able to make fully informed decisions. And I would hope our contract with Wilsonville Security has been thoroughly reviewed to be sure there aren’t penalties, etc should the board decide to cancel.

17. JDM says:

I am opposed to changing our current system. For those unaware, our dues already pay for the monthly fee and all you need is a land line. If your system is not compatible, Wilsonville Lock can upgrade it to suit your needs. I purchased a wearable device (panic button) before open heart surgery that wirelessly connects to my system. Besides I seriously doubt, that if dropped, my dues will go down or our money will be spent in a better way.

18. Jim McKenna says:

Jim and I feel strongly that we need more information before we would want to vote. Jan, I appreciate how much time you have spent in research but there are still many questions to be answered. Hopefully with more information a clear choice will emerge. Barb McKenna

19. Jan Landis says:

Barb

The board is just gathering information at this point. More information will be the next steps, after that an official vote. We just want to make sure that we are doing due diligence for all of our 228 residents. When you as a board see that you are spending $3000 a month, you want to make sure that everyone is benefiting from that expenditure

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!